Post subject: Driving from UK to Turkey
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm 

Hi,

We are going to be travelling from the UK to Turkey in March. We plan to travel through the Channel Tunnel , through France, Switzerland, Italy where we catch the ferry to Greece. We wondered if anyone else had driven this route recently and roughly how much you paid for toll roads, ferries to greece and the cost to get your car into Turkey?

Any advice would be great.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Driving from UK to Turkey
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:26 am 

rico , suggest you go belgium ,germany, austria, croatia, serbia, bulgaria , turkey ,save the toll fee,s , vingnette for austria and bulgaria ,£10 ,ferries also getting expensive, serbia will want green card insurance or pay 125 euros, done this trip 3 times no problem .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:45 am 

rico i suggest alternatively you take your first advice and go via Greece, i have tried the other route via serbia and bulgaria and basically it doesnt get much cheaper, the roads our awful and the customs will blag you for bribes, and conditions our generally very poor, although i havent done the Italian ferry crossing i have driven allot in Greece and from port of disembarking to the border with Turkey it wont cost you more then approx 80 euros as toll roads in Greece our cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:42 pm 

did the anconna ferry august 07 to ismer cost 750 euro,s(without cabin) only cost £600 to drive from north of england to north cyprus including channel ferry and fergin ferry trnc £100 each end .just carry a couple of packet,s of cig,s or tobaccofor custom,s .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:26 pm 

I've driven the UK- Italy route, then the Brindisi -Cesme to Turkey a few times and it works OK. But after a three day journey on the GA Ferry back to Ancona I said never again will I take that crossing on the return, unless it goes via Corinth Canal, which it didn't on my last homeward trip.

But last time I did the UK-Turkey drive; I cut the corner so to speak, and drove down UK to Brindisi, the took a ferry Brindisi to Patmas in Greece, drove a few hours around to Pireas, Athens and got the Ferry Pireas to Kos (10 hours) then the short hop over to Bodrum on the local ferry. No real hassles at all and the journey down from Pireas through the Greek Islands was a treat. Also, the internal Greek ferry service was rather cheap and good value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:15 pm 

use mappy dot com to work out routes across europe - it calculates all the costs including fuel and tolls... a great site for that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:46 pm 

Will be going back to the UK next month to collect my vehicle and bring it too Turkey for 6 months. I now its a pain but going out of the country after the 6 months will give me an excuse to bring my other vehicle and other essentials back.
Since I have not done this before, was wandering if anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing. We could possibly go in convoy, two cars are better than one!
Date is not definate, so I am flexible.
Jav

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:52 pm 

javsarwar wrote:
Will be going back to the UK next month to collect my vehicle and bring it too Turkey for 6 months. I now its a pain but going out of the country after the 6 months will give me an excuse to bring my other vehicle and other essentials back.
Since I have not done this before, was wandering if anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing. We could possibly go in convoy, two cars are better than one!
Date is not definate, so I am flexible.
Jav

hi , any idea of date ? les .

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:40 pm 

Hi Les,
No planned date, quite flexible. Traveling from Manchester to Kalkan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:12 pm 

My wife and I drove to Fethiye from London in July 2010. Our route was Dover-Dunkirk via Norfolk Line then National routes E40,E35,E41,E45,E56,E60 E75, through France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria and into Turkey Route 80/87 at Edirne. Edirne to Edrimit ferry to Canakkale and then the coastal route via Izmir and Mugla to Fethiye. Virtually a straight line on a map of Europe.
The ferry across the Dardanelles was 24TL for the car including passengers. Service on board is simple but good for the half hour crossing.
We drove very early morning on Day 1 for the Dover ferry at 6am then didn’t stop until Passau (625 miles run from East London)on the German Austrian border arriving around 9pm for the pre-booked hotel . The roads are fast, mostly clear we managed this at a steady average speed of about 65MPH (to give you an idea this was a long day but the quality of the roads made it fairly comfortable).
Day 2 Passau to Budapest 320 miles. Overnight stop. On the return journey we spent an extra two days in Budapest which was well worth it. Day 3 Budapest to Sophia about 500miles
Day 4 Sofia to Canakkale 360 miles Overnight stop. (very few decent hotels around here for non-smokers, no such notion of a non-smoking room.....though they tell you they have them...they don’t)
Edirne is also worth a longer visit if you have time as of course is the Gallipoli peninsula and Troy.
Day 5 Canakkale to Fethiye 390 miles saw us arrive at about 6.30 pm.
There are no borders in Europe till you get to Hungary/Serbia and then Bulgaria/Turkey. You need
1. Green card insurance for the trip (max 90 days)
2. Road tax for Austria and Hungary that you buy at the border crossings though we failed to spot where to buy for Austria (strangely not required for Turkey and you get a six month visa in your passport for the car.)
3. Best to book hotels en route before you go....keeps you on track and on time and gives some assurance that you will have somewhere to sleep. Hotels we stayed in averaged 70Euros for a double room incl. breakfast. We booked because we had a car full of valuables and required secure parking but the only place we had trouble with that was Edremit which seemed to be a pretty sleazy kind of place as we passed through....
The whole drive for us was about 2200 miles at an ave speed of 50MPH (44hrs driving time) which I thought was pretty good 56Lt of diesel in my 1999 Mercedes (fill up outside Turkey before you enter to save a small fortune.)
We drove back in February. We needed to get new insurance in Turkey in order to exit. The UK company won’t insure longer than 90 days outside the UK. While long winded and bureaucratic Turkish green card and traffic insurance wasn’t too expensive and made the exit easy.
The roads in Bulgaria vary from fantastic (Some double up as aircraft runways) to downright dangerous so be careful not to leave the main roads. We used a new TomTom purchased with Europe and Turkey maps but with the exception of finding all the hotels with supreme accuracy, the maps and the Routes it contained were less than useless, often sending us way of course into the nothingness of Europe. Complete rubbish, even on motorways and Autobahns it would indicate to turn off where there was no junction and for no apparent reason ....buy a Garmin.
Overall, this is an easy drive and no expensive ferrys or tolls (yes there are NO TOLLs on this route)
Incl cross channel ferry, 4* hotels (except Turkey) gas and food you should spend less than 1000Euros. If its four travelling in the car you are travelling for the same price as an air ticket, in more comfort, seeing the countryside on a four day holiday. OK same price to return but don’t forget it includes accommodation for eight nights!
We spent 6 months in Turkey so it was fab having our car here and returning we did stop for several nights at various places (for another post).
BTW no hassle from any border guards though Bulgaria To Turkey is confusing. Best to park up and ask before entering the check-in channels. In Serbia they do a rudimentary search.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:43 am 

Hi all, just saw this thread and I have a blog we kept of our trip using the journey mentioned through Italy and Greece, we did not go through Switzerland just because it was one more country we didn't need to go through, on the blog is a day by day account with pictures and a page with the route we took on google maps.

we took our dogs as well so was a great trip and we will never forget it, my wife is Turkish so any advise on car, jobs, work permits, residency, customs for belongings, customs for car to stay on blue plate etc we have been through all of that since arriving here November 2010, actually the last step we are doing as we speak is getting blue late for car which is tricky but doable.

website is http://www tomandtugce com/blog

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:39 pm 

Hi Tom,

We have acquaintences driving a UK reg. car back to the UK as I write on approx your route. I'm looking forward to hearing their story too.
We have now bought a car here in Fethiye (Turkish plates via our Turkish family). We are now thinking of driving to UK on our route (above with a few diversions for purely touristic reasons) but need to know the rules for taking the car out of Turkey. We have full Kasco insurance (obtaining the policy in English) and can get green card for 90 days. Do you know what else we will need and/or where to get it?
Ralph

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 am 

hey,

We've been driving to Turkey, Istanbul from London for about 9 years now and to be honest these days the journey is a blast.

We take the Italy- Greece route, and have done every year. We full tanked the about 4 times and got to Istanbul in 2.5 days, driving time of about 30hours. Years the Greece mountain roads were terrible but they have now dug tunnels and made bridges which cut the journey from 10 hours to about 3 hours.
The roads are near empty and direct you avoid innercity traffic. We completed the whole of Greece into Turkey in 7 hours with the average speed 100mph. The roads a flawless and spacious allowing you to speed. Only problem is there is only one petrol station therefore especially if your driving through the make sure you fill up. Because the inner village petrol stations close early. I dont think I saw Greek national through out the the journey, including police. They dont patrol the european routes.

The drive through the major european countries are easy, France, Belgium, Germany, switzerland and Italy - Italy being the worst, are easy. Ferries are cheap too. We buy directly from the ferry lines and only 267 euros for the car and three passengers.

In regards to the other Bulgaria journey, I have many stories. Robbing of gunned men in Police uniforms, bribes. A close family friend had his windows smashed in when he refused to pay the bribe. My uncle completing the journey this year didnt have any issues as such but paid alot in toll, petrol and country entrance fees. We travelled more economical then him. Hey stressed the car out more and he himself struggled. The day break on the Italy greece journey, rests the car the its passengers. the journey on the ferry is about 24 hours at the most and ideal to rest especially if you have a kabin.

Whatever you do have the car serviced before hand, on one of our journeys we broke down 3 times, for different reasons just because we hadn't changed the gearbox, the problems snowballed into many. but we still got a 2 months out the car and even travelled back to the UK in it.

Its definitely an experience and wonder why anyone would fly here if their going to stay more then 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm 

opsman wrote:
Hi all, just saw this thread and I have a blog we kept of our trip using the journey mentioned through Italy and Greece, we did not go through Switzerland just because it was one more country we didn't need to go through, on the blog is a day by day account with pictures and a page with the route we took on google maps.

we took our dogs as well so was a great trip and we will never forget it, my wife is Turkish so any advise on car, jobs, work permits, residency, customs for belongings, customs for car to stay on blue plate etc we have been through all of that since arriving here November 2010, actually the last step we are doing as we speak is getting blue late for car which is tricky but doable.

website is http://www tomandtugce com/blog

Tom

Hi opsman. I'd like to read your blog, but couldn't find it using the website address you gave. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:23 am 

fourman you must drive a "stealth car" through Serbia then if you managed to avoid the road tolls. There are numerous tolls the length of Serbia and add that onto the cost of "border insurance" and it's getting up to 150 Euro for the trip. Serbia has changed the law on EU green card holders permitting entry without "border insurance" provided it shows Serbia on the green card itself (some UK insurers X over non-EU countries) make sure you check before you set off.

You can pay the tolls/fuel in Euro or Serb Dinars, expect to get ripped off on the exchange rate if paying by Euro.